XNote and Infra Red LED

All discussions here

XNote and Infra Red LED

Unread postby JanHgm » Fri May 14, 2010 12:48 pm

I used a USB to RS232 convertor for I while but I would advise to use a PCMСIA to RS232 convertor.

Reasoning; More reliable and no risks to loose contact with connector due to spokes on the line.

I used the convertor in combination with a simple handset and a finish passing detector beam.
With the USB-2-RS232 adapter I was always allowed to disconnect a cable without risking to loose connection with adapter.

With the PCMСIA-2-RS232 card I can always connect an disconnect devices.

Jan
JanHgm

Re: usb to serial adapters.....

Unread postby roger beep » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 am

Interested in your comment. I want to use an infra red sensor beam switch as timing for motorsport. You talk about a "simple handset" and using an adapter to USB> This sounds like what I want. Can you explain please.
roger beep

Re: usb to serial adapters.....

Unread postby T-Rex » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:56 am

I have built a similar system, after a lot of research I came up with industrial photo cells, typically used in industrial automation and manufacturing. They work great, only thing you need to look out for is the range, the ones I used are good up to 6 metres, which might not be enough for your motorsport application.
T-Rex

Re: XNote and Infra Red LED

Unread postby Barney Townsend » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi There

I have just discovered Xnote and it looks like a great solution to what I am looking for - thanks!

I am running a model electric car race with some students and would like to set set up the timer based on an infra red beam. We do not need much range (the cars are about 300mm by 150mm footprint!).

Does anyone have experience of using this type of small IR LED and Sensors to activate Xnote?

Thanks
Barney Townsend

Re: XNote and Infra Red LED

Unread postby Stopwatch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 am

Barney Townsend wrote:Does anyone have experience of using this type of small IR LED and Sensors to activate Xnote?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1054
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Return to Main forum