App: Break beam timing for FSAE Testing/Driver Training

All discussions here

App: Break beam timing for FSAE Testing/Driver Training

Unread postby bengill.cmt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 am

I have only recently found XNote Stopwatch, but have been wanting some software like this for the last couple of years to use for timing our Formula SAE racecar.

I have been developing an arduino based interface that can take the input from an infrared retroreflective sensor & translate it into a keypress to trigger timing software, allowing easy collection of lap times. Having found XNote Stopwatch, I have finally been able to make this project happen.

In Formula SAE, penalties apply if a cone is hit on track or if a gate is missed. So far, using the Excel integration feature & some macros, I have been able to achieve automatic calculation of a corrected lap time in realtime (using additional buttons on the arduino to generate other keypresses), minimizing the amount of processing required after a testing session. I have however run into a couple of issues.

1) When I have conditional formatting enabled in the Excel spreadsheet to highlight the fastest lap, the XNote Stopwatch display intermittently freezes. Using the excel macros for cone hit & off track penalties does not appear to have any effect on the stopwatch display.

2) Some of testing sessions run longer than 10 laps. I understand the need to limit the free version & encourage the purchase of the full software, but I would like clarification of the software license. We are a student organization & as such, we operate off our own (students) laptops, with different people timing on different days/events. Purchasing a single license for the team is viable, however purchasing a multi-user license is not so viable. Is there any way to manage the software that it can be transferred between laptops as necessary? We would only ever need a single instance of the software running at any one training/testing session.
bengill.cmt

Re: App: Break beam timing for FSAE Testing/Driver Training

Unread postby Stopwatch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:35 am

bengill.cmt wrote:1) When I have conditional formatting enabled in the Excel spreadsheet to highlight the fastest lap, the XNote Stopwatch display intermittently freezes.

This is a know issue but it appears too sporadically to find out a cause. How often your spreadsheet causes a freezing? Can it help me?

bengill.cmt wrote:We are a student organization & as such, we operate off our own (students) laptops,

Is your organization a legal entity or just a informal community?
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Return to Main forum