Database, stopwatches interconnection

All discussions here

Database, stopwatches interconnection

Unread postby KSoko » Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am

furthermore:
no Database integration or possibility to connect start-final over Xnote ... should really think about that !
If you get a connection over lan or wifi between two instances of the software, than you can think about implementing a resyncronisation.
KSoko

Re: Database, stopwatches interconnection

Unread postby Stopwatch » Thu May 20, 2010 1:07 pm

KSoko wrote:no Database integration or possibility to connect start-final over Xnote ... should really think about that !

Shared Excel spreadsheet works perfectly as Database.

KSoko wrote:If you get a connection over lan or wifi between two instances of the software, than you can think about implementing a resyncronisation.

There are some thoughts but not now. Start new discussion at this forum.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby KSoko » Fri May 21, 2010 8:03 am

Stopwatch wrote:
KSoko wrote:no Database integration or possibility to connect start-final over Xnote ... should really think about that !

Shared Excel spreadsheet works perfectly as Database.

mmm, unfortunately not over slow wifi connection and when you have people crossing start or final every 15-30sek. and you need update after every finish ;)
Also there are principally some disadvantages when use Excel as database - for the processing of the results after the race, and if you want to build a live timing. But that is subject for another discussion ...

Stopwatch wrote:
KSoko wrote:If you get a connection over lan or wifi between two instances of the software, than you can think about implementing a resyncronisation.

There are some thoughts but not now. Start new discussion at this forum.

Ok, the software wasn't designed especially for our needs. We tray to use it as it is without knowing the limitations. So what a I personally will be happy to see is a very simple communication over TCP/IP between two ore more instances used for resyncronisation and to send the start/split results direct in excel or database on the final.
So far I know, there aren't two PC's or notebooks with clocks running 100,0000% identical. Its not in the nature of this type of hardware. If the idea is to use two or more instances of the xnote on separate PC's resyncronisation is a must. I don't know if its generally possible ... because the signal for the resyncronisation needs also a time to "travel" and than the whole depend on other hardware, drivers and so on ...

p.s. i forgot ... in our case was 1/100 sek. accuracy needed.
KSoko

Unread postby Stopwatch » Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 am

KSoko wrote:
Stopwatch wrote:Shared Excel spreadsheet works perfectly as Database.

mmm, unfortunately not over slow wifi connection and when you have people crossing start or final every 15-30sek. and you need update after every finish ;)

Slow? Wi-Fi provides more than enough bandwidth for the small Excel file's synchronisation.

KSoko wrote:Also there are principally some disadvantages when use Excel as database - for the processing of the results after the race, and if you want to build a live timing. But that is subject for another discussion ...

What do you suggest?

KSoko wrote:I don't know if its generally possible ... because the signal for the resyncronisation needs also a time to "travel" and than the whole depend on other hardware, drivers and so on ...

Yes. It seems to be complicated issue.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Return to Main forum