reset with external control

All discussions here

reset with external control

Unread postby billy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Hello,
is there a way to reset the stopwatch with external control? It will be perfect when i could rest the stopwatch with the start/stop input (e.g press start/stopp for 5sec then Stopwatch will reset)

# External control through serial COM (RS-232) port. You can start, stop, reset the stopwatch/timer and snap the time with a simple on/off switch, photocell and even RFID-tag reader!
billy

Re: reset with external control

Unread postby Stopwatch » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 am

Try this beta build.
xnsw.zip
External Reset Beta
(145.55 KiB) Downloaded 2396 times

It brings into play RING and RLSD (receive-line-signal-detect) lines. DE-9 pins are 9 and 1. DB-25 pins are 22 and 8. Input voltage can be obtained from RTS or DTR. DE-9 pins are 7 or 4. DB-25 pins are 4 or 20.

No user interface. It always on. But didn't work on my PC. Let me know how on yours.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby Billy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:36 am

it works, when i connect Pin 1 to Pin 7 the stopwach reset, thats fine. maybe sometime it is possible to reset the stopwatch with the start/stopsignal (so you didn`t need a aditional button for reset)
Billy

Unread postby Stopwatch » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:03 am

Billy wrote:it works, when i connect Pin 1 to Pin 7 the stopwach reset, thats fine.

Do pins 9-7 work too or not?

Billy wrote:maybe sometime it is possible to reset the stopwatch with the start/stopsignal (so you didn`t need a aditional button for reset)

I think dedicated line is more reliable.
Moreover I can't image how to distinguish that user's press of start/stop is the reset. Once user presses start/stop the stopwatch MUST be started immediately. I.e. it looks so: user presses and holds start/stop but stopwatch falsely starts and after 5 sec resets. It's frustrating.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby billy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:28 am

Hello again,
pins 9-7 works too

i know a other stopwatch and they are handle the reset also with the start/stop-signal. Look at this manual http://alge-timing.co.at/alge/download/ ... az4-be.pdf at page 15. Maybe in future you will make a feature that you can configure that start/stop-hold time i.e. 5 sec is like a reset. I think for the user it is easy to handle with this, push onetime to start, push afresh to stop, hold 5 sec to reset. i need only one hand switch easy to use and not so much equipment.
billy

Unread postby Stopwatch » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Well. Try this build.

xnsw.zip
Start/Stop hold Reset Beta
(145.58 KiB) Downloaded 3083 times

It works exactly as you asked.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby billy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:18 am

the reset works, but the start/stop didn`t work dependable, it respond only sporadic. i use the state off->on/off->on at he external control
billy

Unread postby Stopwatch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 am

I had set 100ms time frame the start/stop keypress/release must fall into.
This build has 1000ms (1s) period.
xnsw.zip
Start/Stop hold Reset Beta2
(145.57 KiB) Downloaded 2993 times
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby billy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:37 pm

yes it works :D . exactly what i want, know you can use the stopwatch without a keyboard - thank you
billy

Unread postby djwzak » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Thank you too, It works for me also :)
djwzak

Next

Return to Main forum